British Lt. General Paul Carton de Wiart, the Most Badass Man in History.
Wars he fought in: Boer Wars, World War I, Polish Soviet War, World War II.
Wounded: 11 times, including wounds to the face, head, stomach, groin, ankle, leg, hip, and ear.
Body Parts Lost: Left eye, left hand, and a lung.
Survived: Two plane crashes
Awards: Victoria Cross, Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire, Companion of the Order of Bath, Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George, Distinguished Service Order, Virtuti Militari (Poland), Creux de Guerre (Belgium).
Thoughts on World War I: "Frankly I enjoyed the war."
Fun Quote:"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose."
Other Interesting Facts:
- During WWI he took command of three infantry battalions and a brigade after all his commanders were killed in action.
- Once pulled off his own fingers when the surgeons refused to amputate them.
- Got in a gunfight with a gang of Cossacks.
- Was forced to escape Poland when the Germans invaded in 1939. Survived Luftwaffe strafing.
- Led British Commandos in Norway.
- When captured by the Italians after a plane crash, he became a POW. He escaped by digging a tunnel for seven months.
- Was friends with Winston Churchill, Carl Gustav Mannerheim, Marshal Pilsudski, Pope Pius, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, Chiang Kai Shek, and Clement Attlee.
- Hunted ducks with one arm.
- When he was injured in a fall in his later years, he had to have surgery on his back. The doctor removed a few pounds of shrapnel from his body.
- Died at the age of 83